Monday, September 22, 2008

Week 5

Week of September 21st - 27th

Monday (45 minutes running)
Ran around Granite Hills again, but this time, I kept going up Madison all the way to Greenfield and then around the school. Then, I came back around and went down the little side streets to chew up some more time and then back to the Bueno's. It felt good and I'm likin' the new shoes! Feels so good to have that nice spring that comes with new shoes. :o) It also felt good to run after not running for two days.......Gotta keep it up!

Tuesday (30 minutes)
Ran with Coco and Marli behind me around Granite. We waited until about 3 in the afternoon, which was probably not the best time to run. All the kids were getting out of school and it was HOT!!! I felt very fatigued so I kept it very slow. Still got my 30 minutes in and still lovin' my new shoes!! I got my bib number for the race this Saturday. I feel very official now. Woo hoo. :o)

Wednesday (45 minutes walking)
Pretty much just took it easy today with walking around Granite. Not much to report. Feels good and I'm noticing a change in my body. Stronger legs and everything is just kinda toning up. Nice!

Thursday (30 minutes running)
Today's run felt SOOOO good!!! Ran around Granite again and caught back up with Marli and Coco after lapping them. I caught up sooner than I ever have before and if my calculations are correct, I'm running about a 10 minute mile, if not just below 10. Not too bad for a beginner! I am eager to see how I do on Saturday. No hurting body parts. Knees feel great, and my body is becoming more flexible due to all the stretching. I've missed it!!! Ibis, Mom, Coco, Alfy and Marli will be there to cheer me on at the race. It's funny, but the Bueno's are so completely into sports that Alfredo is all into it and making sure that I'm taking care of my feet and everything. I've never been an athlete, so this is definitely new to me. But, the Bueno's are so used to track, basketball, soccer and baseball that it's totally their thing. It's great to have all this support. :o)

Friday (45 minutes walking)
Just walked around Granite today. Felt good and I'm gonna be eatin' me some spaghetti tonight. I feel ready for the race and I'm super excited about!

Saturday (5K race)
Woo hoo!! Just got back from the race and I'm soooooo excited with how I did! I ran better than I have during training. It felt good. My time was 0:28:27.7 and I finished 5th in my age class and 78th overall. Not too bad for my first official race! I'm grateful to everyone who came and supported me and also to those who have helped me with my training. Couldn't have done this without learning from you. :o) Turns out my pace was a 9:00 minute mile. Not too shabby for where I am right now. Next race is October 25th! Gonna shave some time off. Pics of this race coming soon.............

Race Stats:
-0:28:27.7 minutes
-5th place in age group (25-29, 15 ladies in age group)
-78th overall (don't recall how many were there, hundreds??)
-9:00 minute pace

The race overall was pretty good. Very flat and fast. I started off and people were passing me, but I didn't want to get carried away and try to get all in front and everything, cuz that would just make me poop out sooner. I needed to just find my rhythm and keep up a very steady pace. So, I got into a stride that really felt great and just kept it up the entire time. Alfy was on the corner a couple of times as I ran past, shouting encouragement. Coco, Mom, Marli and Ibis were at other spots and they cheered me on. When you have someone cheering for you, you start to not feel the burn and you go faster. It's a little distraction from what you're doing. As I turned the corner to come into the last stretch, I felt so good and I could see the finish line. So, I kicked it into gear and tried to finish strong. I pulled ahead of a few more people and ran across the finish line. What a sense of accomplishment!!! I feel so good having stuck to this! I'm really liking this sport and I'm going to keep it up for as long as possible..........the added benefits are that my singing is improving because of it, so for that reason alone, I'm keeping it up! Anyway, such a fun time and can't wait for the next one. :o)



On your mark, get set, GO!
Me and Rabeka Harrison after the race. Woo hoo!!



1 comment:

San Diego Runner said...

Looks like you're getting the hang of things. Glad to see your shoes are working well for you :)