Monday, September 1, 2008

Week 1

August 24th - 30th

Monday (25 minutes)
Wow! So I started training to build up my base. I haven't ever really run anything before except in middle school where I outran all the boys....but that doesn't really provide much of a benchmark for me. So, here I go. I actually used to run when I worked at Kolod*Wager Law
Offices with Cyn and would run about 2.5 to 3 miles everyday during our lunchbreak. I stopped running with her and started walking because we were running on the sidewalks which is the WORST thing you can possibly run on. I could tell that if I didn't stop, I'd have some serious knee issues. I feel great now and my first run on Monday was great! I reached that point about 1/2 a mile into it that I could keep running for hours.....I love that feeling. Most runners will run with headphones and listen to music. I find that that sometimes will help make the time pass, but I just love running with my own thoughts. Of course, running with a buddy is always good too to help push you along. But, I like just getting absorbed in my own thoughts. After my mission to Nauvoo, I would go running by myself (which was weird because I was always with someone on my mission!) and I would find myself just praying constantly throughout the whole run. It's true that running is the simplest sport and the best way to get in touch with who you are and why you're doing what you're doing.

Wednesday (15 minutes)
I was up in San Pedro when I ran today.....it's very hilly here and I didn't know the neighborhood, so I just ran until I didn't feel I could take another hill. I know that it says I only ran 15 minutes, but hey I'm just starting! We'll see if I'm cut out for long distance running soon enough..........

Friday (25 minutes)
Went running on the short loop in Rancho again and I felt great! Hit that point again where I felt I could keep going but I know since I don't have much experience, I can't push it too much! I've been stretching a lot lately because I am sooooo wanting my dancer body back! We'll see how running will affect that goal. It just feels really good to stretch again and gain back my flexibility.

Saturday (35 minutes)
Went running behind Edwards Rancho Cinema and LOVED IT! Great trail (happens to be a horse trail) to run and saw some golfers out on the course as we ran by. However, about five minutes into the run it started pouring! I've never run in a full on rainstorm, but I loved it. The rain felt so good and it definitely cooled me off. I felt good running and at the end of the run, we couldn't cross the little creek since it was now too much of a muddy incline. So, we had to go around and add a little extra to the run. Can't wait to increase my running time and mileage. Need to get some new running shoes and socks............

1 comment:

Mary Dee said...

Great blog, Lol! I'm so proud of the way you are striving to keep your body healthy and fit--not to mention your incredible goal of running a marathon. Wow! I know you can do it--and I'll be there when you do--to cheer you on :)