Monday, October 20, 2008

Week 9

Week of October 19th - 25th

Monday (30 minutes)
Had to run a shorter run today due to Coco's schedule. Not too bad. I'll do my long run tomorrow. Today's run felt great. It was cloudy and cool. Feeling good.

Tuesday (55 minutes)
Running felt great today. I went out first and Coco, Marli, Geno and Mia were behind me. I ran up past the school and then up to Shadow Mountain and back around the school. At this point, I should have been able to catch up to the family; however, I still didn't see them. I picked up the pace a bit and rounded another corner. Still no family. So, I kept going and I FINALLY caught up to them right near Madison, almost back to the Bueno's. The reason, you ask? Rene decided to join the walk without my knowledge and since he has super long legs, they were all practically jogging to keep up with him! Ha ha! Anyway, the run felt good and I'm excited about the 5K this weekend. :o)

Wednesday (rest/walk)
Walked in the evening with Coco and Marli today. The wind was blowing sooooo hard that it made it difficult to walk against it. Crazy! But, it felt good to get out there and walk. I wasn't sure if I was going to get to today, so I'm glad it worked out.

Thursday (30 minutes)
Good run today. Not much to add!

Friday (rest/walk)
Nice walk around Granite and I can tell that when I'm walking, I'm really working my rear end! Not too shabby!

Saturday (race day - 5K Light the Night at Balboa Park)
I'll post all the stats after tonight's race. :o)

Here's a brief recap about tonight's event:
I was standing in the mass of people (approx. 3,500 peeps) waiting to start the race about 20 minutes beforehand, when the announcer got on the mic and asked us if there was anyone who could sing relatively well. Well, dummy me, raised my hand since no one else was and he needed me to sing the National Anthem. So, then, I got all nervous and everything about that......started warming up my voice, instead of just my body muscles. So, I sang a cappella and then took my place in the mass of people once again to start the race. I started off well. A little fast. There were soooo many elite runners that I felt pushed by them to do better and run faster. So, I really took a strong, fast pace throughout the whole race. Near the end of the race, it started to bank downhill, so I really picked it up and the guy was calling that we should kick it into gear to make it under 27 minutes, so I did. I'm not sure what my rank or place was, but my time was 26:04. Not too shabby! I shaved off over two minutes from my last race with the Girl Scouts last month. It felt great and I'm really happy I'm sticking with this. Next month is a 10K. We'll see how I do with that! Hopefully under 60 minutes, right? Definitely!

Official Results of the Light the Night 5K:
Place: 392 overall out of 2,314 runners, 17th in my division out of 214 women
Time: 26:04 minutes
Pace: 8:24 minutes per mile


No comments: